Photojournalism Course Overview
If you want to learn how to tell impactful stories with your photographs, this online photojournalism course is for you. Professional photojournalists are great storytellers, and you will learn the principles of narrative and visualization that they use to successfully document the world around them. We will show you how to see the world like a photographer and how to capture compelling images using proper light, exposure and composition.
Throughout the course, you will complete a series a photo projects that will be reviewed and evaluated by your teacher, a professional photographer there to help you improve. By the time you complete the program, you’ll have a portfolio of high-quality photos and the skills and know-how to succeed as a photojournalist.
NYIP Graduates are eligible to become certified by the Professional Photographers of America (PPA).
What you'll learn
After completing the Photojournalism course, students will be able to:
- Interpret the world like a photographer and tell a story with photographs.
- Outline photojournalism and what it takes to make it in the field.
- Explain the principles of narrative and visualization that can be used to document the world.
- Apply the basics of good photography to one’s work.
- Identify different types of photography techniques that can be used in photojournalism.
- Demonstrate proper light, exposure and composition in every shot.
- Discuss how to earn money as a photojournalist.
- Describe the rights one has as a photojournalist and photographer, ethical concerns, and the guidelines one must follow.
All this for much less than the cost of a residential photography program... view course pricing
What you get
- 4 units of course materials— lessons and HD video available online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- A professional photographer as your mentor— there to help you improve, provide technical support, and review your photos as you move through the course
- Access to our student forum— an online community to discuss courses, get answers to your questions, and share your photos
- Up to 18 months to complete the course at your own pace
- 14 days to review the course risk-free— full refunds offered in first two weeks after enrollment
- NYIP Certificate in Photojournalism— delivered upon graduation
The New York Institute of Photography's Course on Photojournalism will give you the firm foundation you'll need to pursue this photographic specialty. Professional photojournalists will teach you the compelling compositional components of a great journalistic image. They will also give you insider tips for success and their personal techniques, honed over years in the field. You'll even peek inside their gear bags. You'll gain a strong foundation in photojournalism's history, and evolution. You'll be assigned a photojournalist mentor who will look at your work and help you improve, and be there to answer all your questions. Our system ensures a well-rounded course combined with personal attention- that's our formula for success. NYIP's photojournalism course is organized, easy to navigate and filled with compelling photography and extensive video instruction. And because it's online, you can take it anywhere, anytime and at your own pace. Get out into our world with your camera- enroll today.