If you want to learn how to tell impactful stories with your photographs, this online photojournalism course is for you. Professional photojournalists are great storytellers, and you will learn the principles of narrative and visualization that they use to successfully document the world around them. We will show you how to see the world like a photographer and how to capture compelling images using proper light, exposure and composition.
Throughout the course, you will complete a series a photo projects that will be reviewed and evaluated by your teacher, a professional photographer there to help you improve. By the time you complete the program, you’ll have a portfolio of high-quality photos and the skills and know-how to succeed as a photojournalist.
NYIP Graduates are eligible to become certified by the Professional Photographers of America (PPA).
What you'll learn
After completing the Photojournalism course, students will be able to:
- Interpret the world like a photographer and tell a story with photographs.
- Outline photojournalism and what it takes to make it in the field.
- Explain the principles of narrative and visualization that can be used to document the world.
- Apply the basics of good photography to one’s work.
- Identify different types of photography techniques that can be used in photojournalism.
- Demonstrate proper light, exposure and composition in every shot.
- Discuss how to earn money as a photojournalist.
- Describe the rights one has as a photojournalist and photographer, ethical concerns, and the guidelines one must follow.
All this for much less than the cost of a residential photography program... view course pricing
What you get
- 4 units of course materials— lessons and HD video available online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- A professional photographer as your mentor— there to help you improve, provide technical support, and review your photos as you move through the course
- Access to our student forum— an online community to discuss courses, get answers to your questions, and share your photos
- Up to 18 months to complete the course at your own pace
- 14 days to review the course risk-free— full refunds offered in first two weeks after enrollment
- NYIP Certificate in Photojournalism— delivered upon graduation
View Course Reviews
Very very beneficial!!! Value for money!
Right now, this course is the best. I'm glad that I took this course, it has taught me things I never knew. If anyone asks me about this course and the school I will tell them you are crazy if you go somewhere else. Keep up the awesome job.
I love the course, since I do Stock photo it has helped me a lot
My name is Nataly from Panama and I can tell that the Photojournalism course helped me in many different ways. One of them was to be able to see photography through a different lens! It helped me learn how to create a story after taking a picture and how one simple picture can tell a story just by looking at it. rnI recommend this course to whomever wants to learn more about photography but in being storytellers at the same time. rnTeachers will always comment about your final projects and they will help you improve in each new unit.
I really liked the course. Studying the course, I got a lot of knowledge in the field of photojournalism. Thank you for the materials provided.
âExcellent course.Overall, it gave me the tools to be a photojournalist,and also precise instructions from my mentors on how to improve my skills. I strongly recommend it.â
Being available internationally, content is rather limited to the USA.rnIf well catered to, the format and method of teaching is enriching and helpful.
Professionally prepared course, lots of information covering the topic from every aspect. I believe this course made me a better photographer.
I have just (in the past few minutes) completed the Photojournalism Course. Over-all I am very happy with this course. In the beginning, I was slightly dismayed about the "grading" time for return, couple of weeks. However since, everything (evaluation) was performed quickly (within hours). I would recommend this course to anyone interested in this genre. I have been photographing since the mid 1980's, learning (self taught), I have learned so much more than I ever realized that I would. Thank you to all that assisted me during this course.
Simply perfect! Nice and a very polite approach from the mentors, their feedback are full of knowledge and lots of logic.rnThanks NYIP!
Great Class. I learned a lot.
I have absolutely loved the course.rnMaterials, projects and evaluations.rnHowever, I would love to have access to the material for longer without needing to print or download it :)rnThanks!
informative course and quality material. I learned a lot and I look forward at enrolling to another course.rnEvaluation process sometimes uneffective but it came better and better as the course went on.rnI really appreciate help from mentors and communication with them was very quick and effective. Also, I should mention they really helped making me comfortable with english communication despite my mother language (french). I appreciate.rnrnThanks NYIP !rn
Very informative, loving every minute of it.