Portrait Photography Course Overview
This online portrait photography course is designed to teach you everything you need to know to take professional-quality portraits. You will learn how to work with all different types of subjects, from individuals and groups to children and pets. Professional portrait photographers will explain the nuances of lighting and posing, how to shoot in studio or on location, and how to master the gear you will need to create inspiring work.
Throughout the course, you will complete a series of photo projects that will be reviewed and evaluated by your teacher, a professional photographer there to help you improve. By the end of the program, you’ll have created a portfolio of high-quality photos and you’ll have the skills and know-how to succeed in the world of portrait photography.
NYIP Graduates are eligible to become certified by the Professional Photographers of America (PPA).
What you'll learn
After completing the Portrait Photography course, students will be able to:
- Summarize what portraiture is and what constitutes a good portrait.
- Explain how to work with all different types of subjects, from individuals and groups to children and pets.
- Describe the nuances of lighting and posing.
- Demonstrate how to shoot in studio or on location.
- Master the gear needed to create inspiring work and take professional quality portraits- including his or her camera, lenses, lighting and backdrops.
- Apply skills to open a studio and start one’s own portrait business.
- Develop a portfolio showcasing his or her best work to propel his or her career.
- Indicate how to assemble online materials to best represent his or her brand, both on the website and on social media.
All this for much less than the cost of a residential photography program... view course pricing
What you get
- 4 units of course materials— lessons and HD video available online 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- A professional photographer as your mentor— there to help you improve, provide technical support, and review your photos as you move through the course
- Access to our student forum— an online community to discuss courses, get answers to your questions, and share your photos
- Up to 18 months to complete the course at your own pace
- 14 days to review the course risk-free— full refunds offered in first two weeks after enrollment
- NYIP Certificate in Portrait Photography— delivered upon graduation
The New York Institute of Photography's Course in portrait photography takes you through every aspect of creating beautiful, interesting and compelling photographic portraits. This 4-unit course has 16 lessons that carry you from a visual history of portraiture to backgrounds, posing, lenses and exposure- lighting and setting up a studio. Our pros will show you how to work with your subjects, how to shoot on location, how to edit, and then the ins and outs of the portrait marketplace. You'll learn from pros in the field and hear their tips and strategies. You'll partner with an NYIP mentor who will work with you one on one to hone your craft. And the NYIP staff is here to guide you, and just a phone call away. And because it's online, you can fit it into your busy life. Take the course anytime, anyplace and at your own pace. For the aspiring professional or the hobbyist who wants professional results, this is the course for you. Enroll today.